Welcome to Cultivating Habits! I’m MK, short for Mary Kathryn.
I started Cultivating Habits in 2013 as a way for me to introduce new, healthy habits into my life. At the time I was not feeling my best. I was bored a lot. I was spending way too much time on my computer and it was making me very lazy. When the new year came around I decided that something had to change.
And change it did.
That year I successfully cultivated 10 new habits by piling habit upon habit (doing yoga every day, drinking more water, waking up early, and meditating reaped the most benefits). I was even compelled to travel to Costa Rica to do Yoga Teacher Training.
In my quest to cultivate new habits, I have discovered something about myself: I can do anything. It takes time. It takes effort. But I can see now that with the right plan and accountability structure, I can in fact commit to doing what I say I’m going to do.
And that is pretty awesome.
The second year I continued on with new habits, only I changed things up a little. Instead of piling habit upon habit, I took on 21 day challenges – quitting sugar, giving up booze, and decluttering my home were a few. I took a risk and made some of these community challenges, which were so much fun to do. I had over 500 people sign up for the spring clean challenge, which was really awesome. We then did a gratitude challenge and a creativity challenge. I also took on some 100 day challenges – etting my splitz, working my way up to pincha mayurasana, staying fit in my final days of pregnancy were some of my most memorable..
And then, yes, I got pregnant and had a baby which meant that things kind of tapered off in the third year. I did a few challenges, but my time and energy were pretty limited that year.
And here we are in year four. Not sure what this year will bring, but I am excited to do some more community challenges and maybe even get back on that pincha mayurasana horse.
A little more about me…
- Have a degree in Communications and a Post Grad in Technical Writing.
- Am a communications manager at a university.
- Love to public speak. I have presented at a number of conferences. Here’s one of my presentation slide decks to give you an idea of what I do (well, did in my most recent position).
- Love to create and facilitate workshops.
- Am awesome at PowerPoint. Many pictures. Few words. That’s the way to go.
- Work with WordPress.
- Create strategies. I’m actually obsessed. Web strategies. Communications strategies. Social Media strategies. ALL OF THE STRATEGIES.
- Lived in Japan.
- Read every Roald Dahl book.
- Shaved my head to raise money for cancer.
- Really good at arranging furniture. Like, really good.
- Obsessed with room lighting.
- A yoga teacher.
And ever evolving…