I love the start of my days. They first begin early – around 5 or 5:30 – when Isabel wakes for her first, sometimes second, sometimes third, night feed and won’t settle back down. I then bring her into bed with me and we both sleep from 6 till about 8.
Starting the day with my sweet baby girl asleep under the crook of my arm makes me so happy. If I had it my way I would never change that part of my morning routine. Time is moving so quickly the second baby around and I am enjoying every moment of her littleness. She’s almost 5 months now. I feel sad just writing that. And because this is our last baby it’s even more bittersweet.
My second start to the day is around 8. I usually go in and get Nathan – who is now two years and four months and a proper little boy – but he’s been sleeping in lately which has been pretty wonderful because I get to enjoy some quiet time in the morning.
My Current Morning Ritual: Coffee
So this is my current routine: I go downstairs and make a coffee. Whether the kids are sleeping or not, this is what I do.
First coffee then all the other things.
I love coffee. And I need coffee. But I don’t feel like it’s the best way to start my day. (As I just down my first cup and contemplate a second..).
My New Ritual: Hot Water and Lemon
I’ve read in many places, and I’m sure you’ve heard this too, that the best way to start the day is with a cup of hot water and lemon. According to Health Essentials it’s good for:
- aiding digestion
- staying hydrated
- losing weight
- preventing oxidation
- getting in your vitamin C
- providing a potassium boost
- helping prevent kidney stones
Sounds pretty promising, right? However, there are some who say drinking lemon water will not deliver all of these benefits. In this Globe and Mail article the author, who is a registered dietician, argues that many of the most popular claims are over exaggerated.
Once I read this I felt a little turned off from giving this new habit a go. But I want to give it a try anyways and see for myself if I notice any difference. I want to start my day this way for these reasons:
- To stay hydrated. I’m still breastfeeding and I really don’t feel like I get in enough water during the day. Starting the day this way will help kick start the whole ‘drink more water’ habit. Plus I find after I have a coffee I’m not really that interested in drinking water for at least an hour after.
- To see if if helps my digestion. Coffee has not been agreeing with me lately I’m interested to see if swapping it for water first thing will make a difference.
- To see if I can do it. I want to see if I still have the willpower to cultivate new habits. I liked how I felt when I was working on new habits and I haven’t been doing very well with my latest attempts. Being able to commit to change made me feel like I could do anything that I put my mind to and I want to feel that way again.
I’m going to start tomorrow because I’m already one coffee in.
Oh and I just want to add that I am not, in any way, giving up coffee. That would just be ludicrous. Pretty sure I will down that cup of lemon water quickly just so that I can get on with the coffee.
I’ll try to post my progress as much as I can, but with two little ones at home it’s so hard to find the time. I’m pretty sure this whole sleeping in till 9 is just a phase, and like all of the phases that children go through, this too will pass, I’m sure. But I will try to let you know how it goes!