So I’m having a bit of a hard time keeping up with this fitness challenge. I did the pushups and shoulder exercises on Monday, but I didn’t do yoga on Tuesday nor did I do yesterday’s exercises.
But I’m trying not to be too hard on myself because:
- I have an 11 week old. As amazing of a sleeper as she is, she’s only 11 weeks old and I’m still getting up in the night with her at least once. Taking care of a baby (and a toddler) is also pretty time consuming and when I do have a moment to myself I’d honestly rather lay on the couch watching bad tv than do pushups.
- I just had a baby 11 weeks ago. The last few weeks of pregnancy and the first few weeks I got very little sleep. I feel like I have some major sleep catch up to do. Plus, even though my postpartum recovery has been amazing, pretty sure my body is still recovering.
I know, excuses excuses.
The original plan was to do the exercises while they nap. When I’m not tired from being up in the night I can totally do it during Isabel’s morning nap. If that doesn’t work out, and the stars align and Nathan and Isabel nap at the same time, I can do it in the afternoon.
But then there’s days like today. Nathan is home with me because he’s sick so I spent the morning with him. Then he went for a nap just as Isabel was waking up. I just put Isabel down for another nap and I can hear Nathan waking up now.
And then I think, I can just do it when they are awake. But honestly, I’d rather play with my babies.
I guess the thing is if I really want to bring fitness back into my life, I need to do to things:
- I need to prioritize it. I have the time. I do. I mean, it only takes 15 or 20 minutes – I can for sure find that somewhere in my day.
- I need to take it one day at a time. If I miss a day, it’s ok. One day missed does not have to mean the end of the whole thing – which is kind of how my mind works. I need to be flexible and I need to be forgiving.
- I need to just start. When I’m tired just the thought of doing exercises is exhausting. But if I just start, it’s easy to go on. If I tell myself: just do one pushup, there’s a good chance I’ll do more.
So today’s exercise is elliptical, which is too bad because that’s one that I really can’t do with the babies around today. So instead, in the spirit of flexibility, I’m going to do some yoga – seeing as I skipped Tuesday.
I’m sure I can find a mom and toddler yoga routine on youtube…that should be interesting.